Terms starting with ‘D’
- The dB power relative to an isotropic source.
- A measure of power based upon the decibel scale, but referenced to the milliWatt: i.e. 1 dBm = .001 Watt. dBm is often used to describe absolute power level where the point of reference is 1 milliWatt. In high power applications the dBW is often…
- The ratio of the power to 1 Watt expressed in decibels. dc ground An antenna which is a dead short to a DC current, and has a shunt-fed design. To RF it is not seen as a short.
- Decibels (dB)
- dBd Quantification of the gain for an antenna in comparison with the gain of a dipole.
- Departure Angle
- Angle at which the radiated beam leaves the antenna.
- Despun Antenna
- Satellite-based directional antenna pointed continuously at earth by electrically or mechanically despinning the antenna at the same rate that the satellite is spinning for stabilization.
- Diplex Operation
- Simultaneous transmission or reception of two signals using a specified common element, such as a single antenna or a single carrier.
- Dipole Antenna
- A radio antenna that can be made of a simple wire, with a center-fed driven element. It consists of two metal conductors of rod or wire, oriented parallel and collinear with each other (in line with each other), with a small space between them. The…
- Direct Ray
- A ray that does not reflect off of anything nor is diffracted on its way from the source to the receptor.
- Directional Antenna
- An antenna which radiates greater power in one or more directions allowing for increased performance on transmit and receive and reduced interference from unwanted sources.
- Driven Element
- The element in the antenna (typically a metal rod) which is electrically connected to the receiver or transmitter.
- Driven Element
- A radiator element of an antenna system to which the transmission line is connected.